The growth of Optiweb
It was the year of 2009
Domain sold for € 2,000
Practically before it all began, Miha was already doing some business in the field of website development and search engine optimization. The greatest achievement was the sale of a domain for € 2,000 due to very good rankings on search engines.
It is time for an independent path
As you have probably already guessed from the name of the company, our story began with search engine optimization for various websites. After a few years of experience on his own projects and a steady job in a competitive company, our CEO Miha Lavtar decided it was time for an independent path.
Small office – big challenges
We cooperated excellently with existing customers, so Miha embarked on a mission to find some new customers with the help of his first employee Luka. Although we mainly dealt with search engine optimization back in that time, we also started to work on a little larger projects – so we launched our first online store called Majice.net at the end of 2009.
It was the year of 2010
First major clients for website search engine optimization
We started to cooperate with Knauf Insulation in 2010. Knauf Insulation is a well renowned company known worldwide for its Insulation solutions. The scope of our cooperation with them increases year by year, and we’re very pleased with that.
First websites and apps
Our primary field of expertise until now was search engine optimization, but in 2010 we also started with web development pretty seriously. The head of website development at the time was Urban; he developed websites based on his own CMS system. That decision didn’t turn out so well later on, but we’ve learned our lesson. The year 2010 was also the year when we made our first web application, which was an edge bandings comparator; the app launched in November of 2010 and is still used today in a slightly upgraded form.
PositionSpider is born
In the middle of 2010, we also launched a new application called PositionSpider. The app is used to monitor the positions of our client’s websites in search engines on a daily basis. With the data provided, we can orientate our work much better and also send reports about specific keyword rankings to our clients at the start of each month.
Our work and efforts started to pay off
This was proved when we did a massive leap in search engine rankings for the keyword “optimizacija spletnih strani” (website optimization in Slovene). As you can imagine, there’s a real struggle going on in the web for these types of keywords between those who are engaged in website optimization business. Up to the present, we’re still amongst the first results in search engines for this keyword.
It was the year of 2011
We become a taxable company
Since our business and income grew, our company became liable to pay taxes.
Increasingly frequent interviews and articles
The year 2011 was the year when we first appeared in a newspaper called Finance (Slovene’s leading finances newspaper); interviews became more frequent as time passed, and we also started to write a lot of articles for various web portals. You can read the article below; unfortunately it’s only available in the Slovene language.
First web domain registrations
Our interest in internet domain names became greater day by day, so we became registrars for Slovene domain suffixes. Just in the first year, we registered over 300 domain names.
New offices two floors higher
In February of 2011, we purchased business premises two floors higher. The premises needed to be renovated so we rolled up our sleeves and used a lot of elbow grease – we moved into our renovated offices by the end of 2011.
First online shop
The year 2011 was a milestone year in many different areas. We developed our first online shop for a major client. The online shop was developed on the platform Magento; even though the design and functionality has changed throughout the years, the shop is still on the web today, accompanied by phenomenal search engine rankings.
It was the year of 2012
Our fields of expertise keep expanding
We constantly acquire new skills and knowledge, so we started with Google AdWords, development of Facebook applications and whole-graphic designs for webpages.
Corporate image renovation
Not only had we moved to bigger and nicer offices, we also refurbished our company logo and whole graphic design of our web page.
Warm feet – happy feet
We first started to give out socks with our logo back in 2012; because the response was excellent, we still delight the small and large feet of our customers with our custom made socks.
Participation in Google’s educational courses
Google organized its first educational course in Slovenia back in April of 2012; it was called Google Engage. Of course, we were there and we also attended four smaller and a little bit more business orientated courses later that year.
We constantly follow online trends
Google’s search algorithms are constantly changing, and we follow them on a regular basis.
Our team grew bigger and bigger, so we rented more offices on our floor.
December’s presents for geeks
St. Nicholas gifted Miha and David with Google AdWords certificates after successfully completing an online course; he also brought a full time job contract for our designer Barbara.
It was the year of 2013
Our website gets a brand new domain name
The negotiations were long and tough, but the effort and perseverance paid off and we finally acquired the domain name Optiweb.com.
In the year 2013, our CEO Miha had his first experience as a lecturer. His first appearance was a presentation at Slovenia’s Marketing Society; he managed that pretty well. He did his second lecture at a special seminar regarding search engine optimization; since Optiweb was already one of Slovenia’s top SEO companies at that time.
Video production is added to our list of services
We carefully prepared to establish a new set of services – video production, which could be found under the brand name Videa. Arranging exceptional promotional, introductory or animated video for you is no longer an obstacle.
Special celebration of our fourth birthday
Limousine rides, massages, cottage cheese burek with birthday candles… What else would you want for an extraordinary celebration?
Successful cooperation with Google
We diligently attended all of the interesting workshops Google prepared for us; we also visited the pre-premier of the movie Trainee, of course with glasses that were predecessors to today’s Google Glass. Since our web traffic was large enough and our employees successfully passed different courses, Google awarded us with Google partner status. Not only events hosted by Google made sure that we weren’t bored, but 2013 was packed with algorithm changes with which we coped very well.
We got the Certificate A rating for excellence
Rating certificate A for excellence is rewarded to those companies that adhere to the principles of fair cooperation; no need to explain how happy we were.
The first workingday in the open air – Picnic
On a beautiful day, we decided that we would spend one work day 800 m above sea level instead of working in our offices. The only problem was, our internet connection did not want to cooperate so the planned day of working turned into a picnic.
December gifts for geeks
Since we worked hard all year around, we were awarded by St. Nicolas and Santa Claus with a new responsive website design on our new domain www.Optiweb.com.
News articles and interviews in 2013
It was the year of 2014
Even better websites and online stores
Our big goal for 2014 was to further improve the quality of our websites. This trend was already started with our revamped website. And we are pleased that the site also received a lot of your commendations. This gave us an additional impetus for the development of new websites and stores for our clients. But we didn’t stop there; by the end of the year, we also finished two of our biggest projects so far: rls.si and pricaraj.si.
We successfully tame Google algorithms
Google’s Panda and Penguin algorithms make us work very hard, but we’re successful at taming those little beasts. Both algorithms require constant monitoring of optimization trends, result analysis and error correction. So far we’ve domesticated them well; this also shows in very good rankings of our clients’ webpages on Google even for keywords that have a lot of competition in SEO fields. For example, the Slovene keyword “prevajanje” (translations) is always amongst the top five search results on Google.
We still participate regularly at social events
Miha joined the network of BNI (Business Network International), which brought him new skills, interesting acquaintances and some exciting new projects. He has also lectured at the annual seminar on website optimization, organized by well-known Slovene company Nasvet. We regularly participate in the Google events and Magento and Wordpress meet-ups.
Even nicer and more sophisticated graphic design
After we renovated the graphic design of our website, it was time to finish the image. We got new business cards and a new display ad outside the building our offices are located at.
Half of the second floor bought
Tuesday, 26/8/2014 was the D-Day when a public auction for the second floor of the building we work at currently took place. With a little bit of luck, we bought the entire second floor of the building in conjunction with a partner company. With this step, we moved one step closer to the goal, which is to provide a superior working environment for our employees. Of course, when the deal was made, champagne was obligatory :-).
Miha became BNI marketer of the month October
BNI is a network in which entrepreneurs help each other to create more business with the help of recommendations. Our CEO Miha helped to acquire new deals for quite a few fellow co-members, and in October he earned the title of Marketer of the month, thus further displaying that Optiweb and its employees not only care for themselves but are also happy to help others.
News articles and interviews in 2014
It was the year of 2015
The extremely successful year 2014 has ended
If we sum up the year 2014, it was very successful in all areas of work and we significantly raised the quality of our services, which is reflected in our latest projects. In addition, we hired 4 new employees for full time and bought huge premises a floor higher than the present one.
Miha became a BNI networker of the year
Networking and supporting other BNI Carnium members paid off. Our CEO Miha earned the title of The Networker Of The Year 2014.
One of our pages received a CSS Award nomination
On June 2nd, 2015, the website Goolets Cruising received a CSS Awards nomination - a superb acknowledgment for all our hard work on developing this website.
Time to move into our new offices!
After more than six months of extensive renovations, the opening day of our new offices finally arrived. We arranged the last details, invited our friends, Optiweb business partners and supporters. The vibe was great, and we all had an amazing time. The turnout exceeded our wildest expectations. We were delighted to hear that our guests were genuinely excited about our new workplace. Thanks again everyone! Thanks again everyone! You can read more about the opening (or just check the video or browse the pics) in our blog post Our new offices rock!
We are being talked about ...
- Zaposleni se mora veseliti jutranje kave s sodelavci (Delo, 4.9.2015)
- Vse večja ekipa Optiweba v nove, inovativne prostore (Zavod Mladi Podjetnik, 9.9.2015)
- Optimizacija spletnih strani - Intervju z Mihom Lavtarjem (Najst, 11.9.2015)
- Odbite pisarne od Googla do škofjeloškega Optiweba (Časnik Finance, 17.9.2015)
The first microenterprise with the Family Friendly Enterprise Certificate
We put our employees before everything else and we're the first Slovenian microenterprise to obtain the Family Friendly Enterprise Certificate.
The most certified Magento team
To prove our expertise in opensource system Magento, which is perfect for larger/high volume e-shops we sent our 3 experienced developers to Ljubljana in order to test their knowledge. We're proud to say that they all successfully passed the test and earned the Magento certificates.
Thus we became the company with the most Magento certified individuals.
It was the year 2016
An exceptional growth in 2016
The year 2016 truly was extraordinary. From 17 team members our numbers grew to 27. Our offices consequently became too small, so the marketing team got a new office. A lot also changed when it came to optimizing the processes, which resulted in improving the quality and range of our services.
Who is talking about us?
- Fajn prostori + fajn ekipa = pozitivna energija (Ambient Dizajn, 7.1.2016)
- Intervju s podjetnikom - Miha Lavtar, Optiweb (GR8, 6.4.2016)
- Denar že dolgo ni več merilo za izbiro delodajalca (Siol NET 14. 9. 2016)
- Milenijci – drugačni časi, drugačni ljudje, drugačno delo (Finance, 2.10.2016)
- En človek ne sme nositi bremena celotnega podjetja (Delo, 15.11.2016)
Educating ourselves across Europe
We are keenly acquiring new knowledge across the entire Europe. So far, we’ve visited some of the most prominent conferences abroad and some smaller ones at home.
We were teaching and motivating
At Optiweb, we like to share our knowledge, because we believe that is the key to success. We gladly respond to the invitations to various lectures, workshops, conferences, etc.
Our Rok fired himself ...
One of the people who really helped us grow last year was our Rok.
It was the year 2017
We like to motivate and expand our knowledge
Our knowledge is often shared at various lectures, conferences and educational institutions.
- Medgeneracijski center Idrija: From idea to breakthrough – succeeding is possible
- Zavod 404: Entrepreneurship instead of college
- FDV: 3P: Ready for an entrepreneurial path
- Public institution Sotočje Medvode: Entrepreneurial night – Young and successful: interview with Miha Lavtar
- UP, Faculty of management: Digital marketing as the key element for a successful business
- VSŠ ŠC Kranj: Strokovna ekskurzija v podjetje Optiweb
- Zavod Ypsilon: Ekosistem izkušenj
- Podjetniški inkubator Perspektiva Postojna: Facebook Tunning
- RTM Konferenca
- Karierni dan za FF, Prihodnosti brez humanistov ni
- Zaposlitvena akademija
- 6. kongres podjetnikov Slovenije
- Mediade: We’ll be engineers
- Seminars Nasvet: Unconventional methods of agile companies
- Moja zaposlitev: Attracting and managing talents
- Socialna Akademija: 51st Nikodem Evenings: Who will I be? - Choosing the right career
Who is talking about us?
- Metinalista.si: Naj vam starši in babica ne urejajo življenja
- Dnevnik.si (Zlata nit 2016): Med malimi podjetji je finalist tudi Optiweb
- 24ur.com: V milenijskem podjetju
- Gorenjskiglas.si: V službi kot doma
- Delo.si: Zaposlena, da skrbi za srečo v podjetju
- Skavt.net: Miha Lavtar – skavt podjetnik
- Finance.si: S sestanki Wazzup do skupnega ritma
- Ko imajo sodelavci svojo sr(e)čno skrbnico
- Nekateri stavijo na mlade, drugi na aktivacijo starejših
- Motiviran.si: There’s no such thing as an overnight success
- Psihologija dela: Kam nas vodi prihodnost selekcijskih postopkov
- Siol: Slovenians need to learn how to brag about themselves
- Dnevnik: Interns should not be in charge of filing and making coffee
Magento team with new certificates
The boys from the Magento team have proven their knowledge at the beginning of March with new certificates – the team now has the highest number of certified individuals for Magento in Slovenia.
- Tilen Habjan – Developer (2017)
- Janez Alič – Developer (2015), Developer Plus (2016), Solution Specialist (2017)
- Rok Meglič – Solution Specialist (2015)
- Aleš Sušnik – Developer (2017)
- Anže Harej – Front End Developer (2015), Solution Specialist (2017)
- Aleš Cankar – Front End Developer (2017)
- Simon Potočnik – Solution Specialist (2017)
- Klemen Lapanja – Developer (2017)
The beginning of a business incubator of the Y generation
Since our recently bought offices became too small and we had to move to additional 3 offices, we’ve decided to build our very own building somewhere in the near future.
However, this will be far from an ordinary building; this will a business incubator of the Y generation. There, we wish to connect with other companies with similar cultures and thus create an even better working environment.
You can follow the progress here.
It’s all about cooperation (and learning along the way)
We regularly gain new knowledge at lectures and conferences. Besides the formal ones, we at Optiweb also organize our own internal lectures. With this, the employees broaden their horizons and get acquainted with other areas of work in the company.
- Magento: We were the proud bronze sponsors of the conference Meet Magento Croatia 2017, under the organization of the company Inchoo.
- General: Webcamp Ljubljana 2017
- One Day Experience: New knowledge and experiences are gained with one-day visits of professionals from different fields.
- ABC: We’re proud to have been able to contribute to the organization of the Growth hacking Slovenia Meetup #2.
New internship program
This year, we’ve successfully started with our new internship program “Let’s boost”, offering students practical knowledge, diligent mentoring and the development of their potential in the digital world.
It was the year 2018
We like to motivate and expand our knowledge
We like to expand our knowledge at different seminars and conferences and in educational institutions.
- Seminars Nasvet: How to maximize the effect of Facebook and Instagram posts?
- 12th Sales Summit, sales conference: How to use content to attract new customers and to position companies on the market
- Nefiks: Career day – professions of the future
- Diggit’s round table: How to be happy in digital marketing
- National school for leadership in education: Modern leadership
- Young entrepreneur: Taking time for a strong team spirit pays off
- Y.business: Success story: Employment done right
It’s all about cooperation (and learning along the way)
Who is talking about us?
- Zakulisje: How to create the best work environment for your employees
- Produktiven.si: Miha Lavtar - Boss, coworker, entrepreneur
- Talentiran.si: There are 11 new chief happines officers in Ljubljana
- Al Jazeera Business: In search of a better life